The Sorcerer, Ghost Valley

The Sorcerer, Ghost Valley

Wednesday 8 December 2010

Cautley Spout

Another proper cold morning here in Sedbergh - minus 9

I've been watching the ice form on Cautley Spout over the past few weeks and today I thought I'd take a closer look.


A couple of lads from York following me up the main pitch



Half way up the main pitch



The water was still flowing with some force, in the center of the falls and spraying wet both sides. 

The ice lower down on the main pitch was thick and well formed but it thinned out to rotten wet ice at the top which had delaminated, forcing you to scratch on rock and work the frozen turf to top out.

  



The two lads from York allowed me the luxury of leading on one of their ropes for the top section of rotten wet ice to save me traversing off and missing out completing the route. 




It's great, a real luxury to be able to just get out for a few hours and be climbing on routes like these - fingers crossed it stays cold.

Ade

No comments:

Post a Comment