The Sorcerer, Ghost Valley

The Sorcerer, Ghost Valley

Monday 23 January 2012

Cogne this week

I had a great time last week exploring the icefall climbing in Grindelwald for the first time.

Conditions were pretty lean with warm temperatures & many of the routes not in condition, but the potential there was amazing, you could see the lines partly frozen - a venue I'll maybe try to go back to later in the season if it gets colder & conditions firm up.

While in Grindelwald I ran a weeks introductory icefall climbing course for Petroc, an Outdoor Education College in North Devon. We had a fantastic week, with the kids really enjoying icefall climbing for the first time and being super motivated at just being out in the mountains. It was also part of a work experience module at the college & it was interesting for them to hear about my work & what I do throughout the year.

I've been working with Petroc & running this week for a number of years now introducing the various student years to icefall climbing & I feel it's been such a great, worthwhile module within their course, which I really enjoy teaching.

Last year they were staying in Morzine, this year Grindelwald - I look forward to hearing about next years plans!

I'm now over in Cogne & checked into La Barme for the week - conditions look pretty good here.

Today we had a great day climbing above the tunnel on the way up to the village of Cogne - It was a great introdution & at the end of the day I managed to get a couple of them leading for the first time which was fantastic.


Emil on his first lead - day 1!


Heading up Valnontey tomorrow & looking forward to being up in the mountains again.

Safe climbing

Ade

No comments:

Post a Comment